0

Grandma's melon juice is the best

Summer vacations always makes me think of refreshing drinks and in my book, nothing beats my Inang's Melon juice. Memories of a lightly orange hued juice with long shredded strands of cantaloupe meat at the bottom that we'd usually try to fish out with a fork, keeps floating in my head when I get more bothered by the heat than usual. My Inang would usually serve this on weekends for everyone to enjoy, it was a weekly thing.


I was even told that this is the only drink that I would choose over Coke, and that definitely says something. Remember, I was already addicted to soda at an early age.

It's not just refreshing and delicious, but it's also very easy and quick to make. You'll just need an orange cantaloupe or melon, Muscovado sugar and water. Three ingredients and that's it. Cut the melon in half, remove the seeds, and shred or shape the meat into balls. I prefer the balls, the long strands are a bit hard and messy to eat from a glass. But that's just me. Place it in a pitcher, we usually use one that can hold up to 2 liters. Fill it up with water and add as much Muscovado sugar you want. Mix and you're done.


When I first made it for Mr. D, which was around 5 months ago, (I don't know why I didn't make it before) he went "Why did you only make this now?! We've been together for more than a decade already. Only now?!" Haha. Well, I didn't know he didn't know about it. It was a normal thing for me, so I thought everyone knew about it too. Now it has become a weekly thing to make it for the family, even the kids love it. We discovered that it tastes better the next day, and the day after that, and the next. But don't keep it in the fridge for more than a week. We've learned from personal experience that it starts fermenting at that point haha.

It's simple, all-natural, healthy, refreshing, inexpensive, and quite yummy! Move over store bought drinks, this homemade recipe will definitely give you a run for your money. I'd like to thank my grandmother, Inang, for making this for us on a weekly basis all those years ago. My summer vacations became bearable despite the heat which I hated so much! Haha. Try it out! ;)

https://plus.google.com/117449282143565515349/about If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

Post a Comment

Article published on February 8, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top