1

Laughter is the best medicine

One of my high school best friends, you know, the one who took the photos for our Little Miss Banshee's soiree last year. Well, she happens to be a huge fan of Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago. And when I say huge I mean huge! Her over the top admiration for the senator was totally puzzling in my opinion. But to each his own, right? I mean, I still like the anime, Sailor Moon and I don't think a lot of people will understand me on that particular matter either. Anyway, so she bought this book that was written by none other than her idol, Senator Santiago, which she posted about on Facebook. So, I became curious. And upon checking it out on Google I was quite taken aback by the fact that the book launch last December was a great success, with local bookworms everywhere lining up to have their pictures taken with the senator and to get their copies signed as well. It made me all the more eager to know what's in it! So I got myself a copy of the book which was in National Bookstore's list of bestselling books for the month of January, thank you kind sponsor! Now, here I go:


The book is divided into six extremely entertaining sections, namely:
  1. Wicked - which contains political jokes, mostly our funny author taking jabs at her enemies or  at politics in general.




    "I'm so jealous that you finally found your true love. Unfortunately, they haven't legalized self-marriage yet."
    - page 15

  2. Asukal Ka, Ako Ay Sago - this one contains pickup lines and the senator's witty comebacks about love and relationships. I laughed the hardest in this chapter, maybe you will to?
     

    "Ang crush parang math problem, kung hindi mo makuha, titigan mo na lang." 
    - page 27

  3. Death Threats For Breakfast! - comprised of hilarious comebacks and excerpts of the authors interviews, forums, pres cons, and also wisecracks that are close to borderline insults touching on politics, elections and campaigns.

    "Ang sabi ng gobyerno: Don't lie. Don't cheat. Don't steal. Don't sell drugs. Don't kill. Alam ninyo kung bakit? Ayaw ng gobyerno ng competition."
    - page 55

  4. Out of the Notebook Experience - a chapter about teaching, where our quick-witted senator explains what the meaning of this section's title is all about.

    "Question: What is the plural form of rice?
    Answer: Extra rice."
    - page 70

  5. The Worst Thing about being Married - funny cracks at men and women, marriage and divorce.
     
    "Question: What is the punishment for bigamy?
    Answer: Two wives."
    - page 95
  6. Miriam on Miriam - the last chapter which is finally about her. I found out about her lung cancer in this one and how she took it like a boss. Now wishing I could talk to her and tell her how easy it is to successfully overcome cancer with  a healthy diet. One can hope.

    "Excuse me, I am not a blushing bride. I'm a veteran wife."
    - page 111
Also included in the book, in between sections are two speeches of the senator that she delivered to UP Manila and Lyceum, where she touched on the subject of student leadership and how to use social media as a weapon. She talked about the role of each individual, especially our youth, to act as catalysts for change. They were both uplifting and inspiring lectures, which aims to encourage everyone to do their part and make us more hopeful for a better future for the Philippines.

The caricatures of the senator which were all based on her quotes were just phenomenal additions to the already outrageously funny book. It features artworks by talented artists such as Cj de Silva-Ong also known as the “Promil Kid”, Manix Abrera of “Kiko Machine”, Elbert Or, Rob Cham and more of the Philippines’ best young illustrators. My favorite one is on page 113 by CJ de Silva-Ong.

Reading the 132 page book authored by Senator Miriam in all honesty, posed quite a bit of a challenge for me. A "Oh please, please don't let me wet my pants" challenge. I had to take quick bathroom breaks in between sections just so I wouldn't pee on the couch from laughing too much which I was so close to doing. I came across some familiar jokes that I think I've heard her say in the news or a press conference in the past, but still reacted like I've never heard it before. Her jokes don't get old no matter how many times I read it. I wasn't prepared to laugh that hard at each jab she made against each "villain" and her jests on love and relationships were just killer. She could definitely give veteran comedians a run for their money. Even Mr. D found it hard to stifle a laugh or to keep a straight face when he read it just last night. She should do stand up comedy and just up and leave the dirty business that is politics.

Although not as thick as a "Twilight" novel, "Stupid is Forever" may elicit a few laughs, perhaps even during the most depressing and frustrating times. It's a perfect book to read while sitting on the toilet, taking a bus to school or work, or waiting for your flight at the airport. Just make sure you don't laugh too hard, though, to avoid the embarrassment of people looking at you.

More from: http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/438818/lifestyle/literature/book-review-the-priceless-wit-in-sen-santiago-s-stupid-is-forever
It's the perfect book to read while taking a bus to work or school even. Heck, I'd take it to the toilet with me, if my little ones would let me in there for more than a minute. A highly recommended picker upper in my book. I'd bet that this collection of jokes, one-liners, pick-up lines, and comebacks by the comical Sen. Santiago can induce even a few laughs from dejected or totally down in the dumps readers. It's that funny.

Overall, I think Stupid Is Forever by Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago is  definitely worth the P175 it costs, and then some. So, if you're a fan of the senator or just into a rib-tickling reads, you'd better get yourself a copy of this book or gift it to someone who needs a good laugh and get a healthy dose of the author's off the wall jokes and one-liners. Just make sure you read it somewhere private the first time to avoid embarrassing yourself, it'll knock your socks off!

FYI: One brand-new, still sealed copy of this book together with other sweet stuff are up for grabs in my 100th post give away! Stay tuned!

Reference:
http://www.nationalbookstore.com.ph/
http://www.nationalbookstore.com.ph/books/best-sellers/stupid-is-forever.html
https://plus.google.com/117449282143565515349/about If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

Post a Comment

  1. I'll be back with this after I'm done reading it. I'm so excited, it seams really funny. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

Article published on March 12, 2015

1 comment:

  1. I'll be back with this after I'm done reading it. I'm so excited, it seams really funny. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

 
Top