0

Habanero peppers are among the hottest chili peppers in the world. Too spicy for my taste, of course they're for Dave! It measures in between 80,000 - 600,000 Scoville Units and is sure to bring the heat you crave in spicy recipes, if you're into that. Some people believe they can take the heat, but may not be quite prepared for the levels of the habanero, our local Labuyo just can't compete. There are a number of varieties of Habanero peppers, ranging in ripe colors from orange, red, yellow, chocolate brown, and there's even white. The most popular Orange Habanero pepper typically measures between 100,000 SHU and 350,000 SHU, with most falling in the range of 200,000-300,000 SHU. In comparison, the popular Jalapeno pepper that we see being used in most American cooking shows ranks in with 2,500 - 8,000 units which is nothing really haha.


According to some cancer centers, capsaicin can be used as a treatment for a variety of medical disorders. Due to the high concentration of capsaicin, consumption of Habanero peppers can promote several health benefits.

  • It can help in Lowering Bad Cholesterol
  • It can help Combat Obesity
  • Good for those battling Prostate Cancer
  • It can help in Lowering Blood Pressure

To find this specific chili pepper and enjoy it here in the Philippines, I didn't have to jump through hoops like I thought I would. I've been a member of Chilliheads PH for more than a year now, plus joined other Filipino groups which are into Super Hots, so hunting down the Habanero was a cinch. I just had to wait for a farmer/grower to put up a for sale post for his freshly harvested pods in my news feeds.


I got 1kg of this beautiful Habanero pods from Sir Manuel, who recently harvested a huge load of pods in his farm! When I saw the post, I knew that I immediately had to get my hands on some before he ran out, so I sent him a message and purchased a kilo for us. Had these delivered all the way from Isabela via LBC! Can't wait to whip up something spicy in our little kitchen for Dave, who'll obviously be the only one enjoying this awesome find haha!


https://plus.google.com/+AnneVallega/about

Post a Comment

Article published on June 15, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top