Manong's Lechon Cebu

I have a confession to make, one of the deciding factors of why we actually attended the Blogapalooza event last month, was the fact that Manong's Lechon Cebu was one of the sponsors. It only meant one thing, that everyone present was going to get a taste of their lechon. Yes, we were led by our tummies, haha. It was something we just couldn't pass up and Dave was all for that, since he's from Cebu. My Cebuano husband wanted to finally prove to me, the Manila girl, that their lechon is the best. I have it on good authority that these Cebu locals take their lechon seriously and can't help but compare the ones prepared here in Manila to their famous Cebu Lechon that Filipinos love to have during parties.




I lived in La Loma, Quezon City for around 5 years during college, and correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it the Lechon Capital of the Philippines. I had lechon from the most famous brands in the metro a lot during my stay and I thought they were the best there is. What I love most about lechon is of course the crispy skin (but who doesn't, right?) and the gravy that comes with it. I've never had lechon (even the chicken variety) without gravy, it was just a staple which honestly puzzled Dave and all of my Cebuano in laws. They told me that the lechon in Cebu doesn't need any sauce or gravy and I just couldn't imagine eating lechon that way. Although I've been to Cebu a handful of times, even stayed a week once, I have never had the opportunity to taste their lechon. Weird, right? Well, the Blogapalooza this year just gave me the chance to finally sample some. At long last, I was going to find out what all the fuzz was about.
 



So I was very excited to have my first Cebu lechon experience that I even memorized the schedule announcement of the photo sessions (of the whole pig) and the tasting part, there was one around lunch time and another one just before dinner. We only had the noon slot since we were set on leaving early straight to our waiting kids at home. Anyway, due to the Blogapalooza being the first ever blogger event Dave and I attended, it's safe to say that we got a bit overwhelmed and forgot that there was a schedule. We ended up going to the Manong's Lechon Cebu booth, too late for the photo session, the pig was already sliced in half and portions were being given out to everyone. Too bad we couldn't take actual photos, but we did get to taste it. Dave was staring at me while I took my first bite of the crispy skin, and I guess what he saw satisfied him since he had a very smug look on his face that spelled "I told you our Cebu lechon is the best." before devouring his own lechon serving. And in between bites, my Cebuano husband just couldn't help himself and proudly told me out loud, that their lechon is the bomb!

After having sampled Manong's Lechon Cebu I now know why Filipinos love to have Cebu lechon during parties, first-hand! It's because their lechon was jampacked with flavor that it could stand on its own without any sauce or gravy. It was so moist, succulent and juicy, I don't think that I have ever had lechon that could compare to it, and I've tried a lot. La Loma girl, remember? It was an explosion of flavor in my mouth, you can savor the delectable pork taste not just in the crispy skin but even on the meat itself which I find kind of surprising. You never get that with most of the lechons here, that's why you need the gravy or you'd just get bland or under-seasoned meat to chew on. Cebu lechon is absolutely superb in my book. It was definitely a revelation for me. No wonder a lot of people request for lechon as "pasalubong" from anyone visiting Cebu, I honestly thought that it was such a ridiculous thing to ask for since we do have lechon here in Manila. Why go through all the trouble? I didn't understand it, until now. I gotta admit that my husband is right!

I have seen the light and I am now a convert. The loyal La Loma lechon fan is now a self-confessed Cebu lechon enthusiast and there is no going back for me from this point on. I don't think I'll be able to eat lechon again, unless it's the Cebu kind, that is! It's a good thing that we don't have to fly out to Cebu or wait for a relative or friend to visit there to get our specific lechon fix any longer. Manong’s Lechon Cebu has a branch in Quezon City and they deliver in selected areas of Metro Manila. No matter what the occasion, Manong’s Lechon Cebu is just a call away and can provide us with what most Filipinos consider as the best lechon in the country, I know I do!



“For your Cebu lechon needs, you may contact Manong’s Lechon Cebu @ (632)475-6875, Sun: 0932-8805600, Globe: 0927-7839920. Look for Roland Panares. They deliver door-to-door within Metro Manila. “

Manong’s Lechon Cebu
Website: http://www.manongslechoncebu.blogspot.com/
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/Manongs-Lechon-Cebu-171621356243384/?fref=ts

https://plus.google.com/+AnneVallega/about

Article published on November 11, 2015

 
Top